Battle Of Glasgow History
Glasgow was the site of a Civil War battle in 1864 when Confederate troops
bombarded the Union forces holding the town. The Union force was outnumbered
and eventually forced to surrender. The Union forces were under the
command of COL Chester Harding. The Confederates were commanded by
BG John Bullock Clark.
At the end of the battle, the Union forces were
holding defensive positions at Hereford Hill. The large home there is now the rectory of St. Mary's Church.
Just a week after the battle, Bloody Bill Anderson, one of the most
notorious Bushwhackers of the time, came to Glasgow. He had recently
killed 23 unarmed Union soldiers in Centralia, Missouri, about
thirty-five miles to the east. Col. Benjamin Lewis was a Union
Man, who had made his fortune in tobacco. He offered a $6,000 reward for
Anderson. Anderson and his men broke into Glen Eden, Lewis' mansion, and
demanded the reward for himself. They beat and tortured Lewis until the
money was collected. One of the founders of the city, William Dunica,
provided the money to save Lewis. Dunica's impressive home, with its'
tall porch columns, still stands.
Two years later Lewis died as a result of the beating.
His will included a $10,000 endowment for books and the establishment
of a library and college in Glasgow. The two-story building featured a
library on the second floor and a lecture hall on the first floor.
The building still serves as Glasgow's public library and is the oldest
library building in continuous use west of the Mississippi. There were
two colleges in Glasgow; Lewis and Pritchett.
Additional articles about the Battle of Glasgow:
Order of Battle
LT Graves - Courage & Honor
Sons of Glasgow
Memories of Glasgow by Walter Henderson Sr.
Return to main page Click Here
Site last updated 22 SEP 2014. © 2014